Monday, October 4, 2021

The College Essay Guy

Students,

With fall underway, I thought I'd share a handful of my favorite college app resources, some of which you may not know about.

These will be especially useful if you happen to be oh I don't know working on college essays and applications right about now.

How to Write a Successful Common App Activities List: You get 10 spots and 150 characters to describe each of your extracurricular activities. How do you make the most of that space? This in-depth guide (with examples) may help.

How to Use the Additional Information Section: This is probably the most underutilized section of the application. Though optional, it provides an important opportunity for some students to provide context for their application.

The College Essay Guy YouTube Channel: I've spent a ton of time the last 9 months recording tons of new videos, from my full guide to the "Why Us?" essay, tips on the UC personal insight questions, to reviewing some of my favorite essay examples of all time. Subscribe if you'd like to get notified; I publish a new video each week.

The Dangers of Getting Personal Statement Feedback From Too Many People: A helpful lesson from Pete the Cat.

How to Write a Super Essay by Combining Essay Prompts: If you're writing separate essays for all your supplemental essays, this one's for you. Write better essays and save hours drafting by finding opportunities for overlap among your college essay prompts.

The College Application Hub: Okay, I lied. I had a few more resources come to mind that I wanted to share as I wrote this email, so here's my College Application Hub, which has pretty much all the things, organized by category.


Ethan

The College Essay Guy